Thursday 13 May 2021

Late afternoon at NDC

 After a few jobs this morning it was time for lunch in the morning.

Lunch outside, in the sunshine, just a few garden birds for company.



I then went to North Duffield Carrs. 2 vehicles in the car park, one belonged to my friend Chris. I joined him and another birder in the Garganey hide. As Chris had said in a text message, it was quiet, none of the activity that I had experienced on Tuesday morning.

The whooper swan was on the bund and eventually came closer to the hide.





although I saw the bird fly the other day, I am still concerned about its well being.

A male shoveler landed on the water to my left.


In front of us coots were having a dispute. It started with two of them, then three and eventually four coots were involved.










An oystercatcher chased away any carrion crow that came close to it.


A grey heron flew across the hide and landed the far side of the bund.


After a couple of hours I went to the Geoff Smith hide.

The mute swan was still on its nest and the coots were still building their nest.

A woodpigeon flew down to edge of the scrape for a drink.



 A pair of tufted ducks were on the scrape as were 3 shovelers, two males and a female. Mallards and gadwalls flew in for a preen. A little egret flew across the reserve and the river.


I then saw a deer.



As I watched, I thought that it had a strange shape to its rear legs






It then moved and I was able to see that it had a fawn. The fawn would sometimes hide in the long grass and then go to its mother for a feed. It did not walk very steadily, which made me wonder if it had been born recently.

Time to go home after another pleasant 4 hours on the reserve.


No comments:

Post a Comment