Friday 14 February 2020

Valentine Day Birding

If today is  the day when plants and flowers are supposed to start growing and birds select partners, then it was a cold windy day to start things!
In order to avoid Storm Dennis I decided to go out today in the hope of adding some new birds to my year list. The East Coast seemed to be the best option weather wise as the rain was supposed to be spreading from the west. The coast was also likely to be somewhere I could see some "new" birds.
Filey Dams was my first stop.
The majority of the birds on the reserve were gulls, mostly herring with a few black-headed gulls
A small group of tufted ducks were sheltering from the wind in front of one hide.

.I then drove up to the country park where I met a couple of birders who had just walked bag from the Brigg and told me that there were no birds to be seen.
So that saved me a walk, so I set off for Bempton Cliifs. The usual car park is closed so I parked along with others in the top car park.

I am not surprised that this fulmar was sheltering from the cold and strong wind. Other fulmars were flying about and I tried to get some photos but found it difficult in the wind.

Plenty of gannets on the cliff ledges and in the air.
Guillemots were also sheltering from the wind

I walked to the field at the northern end of the reserve in the hope of seeing short-eared owls, but I had no luck.
Jackdaws were on the bird feeders.
Thornwick Pool was my next stop where I was hoping to add a grey phalarope to my list. A nice bird to become my 100th bird of this year.
The birds spend most of their lives at sea feeding on invertabrates which they stir up by spinning in tight circles. The bird was feeding on the right hand side of the water and I did not have a clear view of it. However it did eventually work its way a bit further from the corner as it was busily feeding.
The light conditions were not good for photos plus it was a fair distance away.

I then drove to the lighthouse at Flamborough Head

However unlike the country park at Filey, there was a charge to park and as I has no change so I  set off for home. A good days birding.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment