Monday 24 February 2020

Last Sunday before Lent

I listen to Radio 4 when I am in my car. On a Sunday on my way to Blacktoft I listen to a variety of programmes depending on the time I am travelling. This Sunday I left home a bit later than usual and listened to a church service. I was pleased to hear that they are suggesting people "Care for Creation" for 40 days of Lent.
It is also a sign as to how quickly the year is passing by.Last night is was still light when we closed the reserve at 1730.
Sutton Coldfield RSPB visited the reserve for the day and they were treated to some good views of marsh harriers flying close to the hides.
More signs of spring about the reserve that visitors may not notice. Six pochards are a good number for us, plus oystercatchers have returned.
Meanwhile on Marshland some goldeneye were displaying. There were three birds, 1 male and 2 females.

They need to sort out partners before they fly north and start raising a family.A kestrel was finding life difficult in the strong wind, and could not perch on a bush outside reception hide.
Marsh harriers were very active flying low over the lagoons, disturbing the black tailed godwits, redshank, and dunlin. This snipe was sheltering in the reeds.
The barn owls were thinking about coming out hunting about 1630.





No comments:

Post a Comment