Sunday 27 August 2023

Kingfisher at Wheldrake


 Bank holiday Sunday at Wheldrake Ings. I got there early due to a poor weather forecast.

As you can see from the picture above there were very few birds on the water. I was not expecting to see the water level so high, there was no sign of any mud for waders. 2 teal, 4 gadwall, 2 moorhens and a coot were the only birds I could see. After a while a kingfisher flew across the water and landed on a post.


not a brilliant photo due to the distance and light.

A little grebe came close to the hide


I walked around to Swantail Hide


As you can see there is some water but again no shallow end or mud and no birds in view.

On my way back along the path I saw blue and great tits and a fresh looking willow warbler and heard a cetti's warbler. Butterflies and dragonflies.




 

 I could hear swallows and house martins chattering and when I looked up I could see them flying above the path. As I got closer I could see them circling arounf a tree.


Young birds were in tree waiting for an adult to feed them.




It started to rain as I got back to my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment