Thursday 17 November 2022

Dusky warbler at Filey

 Usual morning birding at Filey before taking granddaughter shopping in Scarborough. First stop was the Country Park.



Bright and sunny weather but a touch on the cool side. Not a lot to see as I walked out towards the end of Carr Naze and looked over the Brigg.


The waves breaking over the Brigg meant that the birds had moved elsewhere. I walked back along the path and looking out to sea I saw a guillemot on the sea and a red throated diver flying south. Several herring gulls but no fulmars, so I decided to walk on towards the rocket field. A male stonechat kept his distance


a redwing flew in off the sea and after walking a little further along the path I saw some fulmars.


a deer feeding in the fields in front of the new development. I walked along the path and back into the Country Park. I came across a group of birders looking towards the top scrub and one of them told me that a dusky warbler had been seen. I stayed a while and was fortunate enough to see the bird quite well as it flitted about in the bushes, but I was not quick enough to get a photo.


Lots of oystercatchers on the grass, this one was having a nap. Time to go to Filey Dams for lunch before shopping.



 Two black tailed godwits, lots of teal and a few pairs of wigeon, gadwall and mallard, with just one pair of shovelers. Tree sparrows, dunnocks using the feeders near the car park and siskins in the tree tops. 8 whooper swans flew in, followed by a ninth.





I was pleased to notice that 6 of the nine swans were young ones. The usual mix of gulls, but no white winged ones


I left just before 2pm and judging by the weather, I had enjoyed the best weather of the day. Will the weather be fit for a day out birding on Friday?

No comments:

Post a Comment