Wednesday 27 April 2022

Staveley and Nosterfield

 Lots of jobs to do before I go to Mull in eight days time, so not much time for birding now. On Tuesday I had a few hours to spare so decided to visit Staveley and Nosterfield.  I was able to park at Staveley with ease as there was only one other vehicle there, often the car park was full and I had to drive elsewhere.


The dominant sound was chiffchaff as I walked along the path that crosses the orchard and leads to the reserve. After I had reached the second gate the distinctive sound of common terns could be heard. As I walked through the copse of trees I could hear blackcap and willow warbler.

At the junction of the paths I was delighted to see a field full of cowslips.


A lady and her two children were in the first hide. The children ran about screaming while the lady was on her mobile, so I left. From the second hide I was able to see the tern rafts in the middle of the water.

Not sure if the term "tern rafts" is an accurate description at the moment, as they are occupied by black headed gulls.
I only saw 2 common terns and this distant photo is of one of them, bird number 148 on my year list.

Not a lot to see from the 3rd hide, but I just managed this shot as I was leaving the hide.


I also saw my first brood of mallard ducklings this year.




As I walked to the last hide on the reserve I saw and heard a blackcap, great tit and dunnock. A song thrush perched on a wire just long enough for me to get this shot.


A mute swan was on its nest in front of the hide and there was a nice mix of birds to be seen including lapwing, redshank, oystercatcher, avocet, shoveler and shelduck. The sunny day had now become a cloudy one so I decided to drive to Nosterfield before the rain started.


Some guys were working on the entrance door to the hide, but they stopped to let me in.

Med gulls were on the island in front of the hide





a black tailed godwit was busy feeding

this lapwing was fairly close to the hide, despite the banging noise made by the workmen

this rabbit was even closer

The workmen stopped for lunch, so I left the hide and walked across the car park to the viewing screen.
Lots of flowers were in the grass verge




Not a lot to be seen from the screen so I walked back to car and on the way the rain started to I drove home.
On Wednesday I went to Scarborough to take my grand daughter shopping. We had a walk along the Marine Drive.

I was impressed with the sight and sound of all the kittiwakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment